Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. ~Roger Lewin
THE PILLAR OF LIGHT COMMONWEALTH GROUP WILL PRESENT SHAKESPEARE’S AS YOU LIKE IT, for both school sites. They will perform at 1:00 P M on Tuesday, March 20th at Hillpointe and again at 1:00 P M on Wednesday, March 21st at Mesa Vista. The performance is approximately 75 minutes long. Following each performance, the group will conduct small group workshops for students in grades 3-8. The small group workshops will include presentations in Improvisation in acting, Stage combat, and Shakespearian language.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH WILL BE THE FOCUS FOR STAFF DISCUSSIONS AND TRAINING ON THURSDAY, MARCH 22ND. There will be no school for students all day to allow the staff to spend the morning on a formal visit and orientation to the development of a positive organizational culture at ZAPPOS. One of the major goals of the Discovery Charter School is to create a high level of “Positive Customer Service” as we share students and the learning process with our families. We also had the opportunity to meet with Jamie Naughton from Zappos early on in our planning stages for Discovery Charter School. Jamie shared the “Core Values” that drive the culture at Zappos. As we wrote our job descriptions for advisors at Discovery Charter School, we were able to weave a piece of those core values into our advisor expectations.
Our afternoon session will focus on techniques and interactions that ensure an energized workplace climate for all employees. We envision that positive energy translating to a high value on learning experiences, projects and family partnerships with the school.
STAFF TRAINING DISCUSSIONS ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON WILL ALSO INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONAL TOPICS CENTERING ON EFFECTIVE PROJECT DEVELOPMENT, STUDENT MANAGEMENT, AND SCHOOL GROWTH.
WE HAVE COMPLETED THREE QUARTERS of school for the 2011-2012 school year. It is our ongoing conference policy to be available at all times for family conferences, but the quarter end is a nice opportunity for families to check in on student progress. Some staff members have sent out schedules for needed conferences and others have posted potential conference times on their doors for families to review and sign up for a meeting. Families can also call the schools and schedule conferences and we also will be calling some families if we have students behind in their work or needing extra learning assistance. We will not provide report cards until the end of second semester, which also is the end of the school year.
PARENT GROUPS ARE ALSO BUSY PLANNING SPECIAL EVENTS AT BOTH THE MESA VISTA AND THE HILLPOINTE SITES. THOSE EVENTS INCLUDE:
• Mesa Vista Book Fair April 12-April 19
• Hillpointe Book Fair April 19-April 26
• Mesa Vista Carnival May 24th
• Hillpointe Family Festival of The Arts and Talent Show May 17
THE DISCOVERY CHARTER SCHOOL GOVERNING BOARD WILL MEET ON TUESDAY, MARCH 20TH AT 6:00 P M. The meeting will be held on the Mesa Vista campus. Meeting agendas are posted at both schools on the front doors and also at the local libraries. The public is invited to all Governing Board meetings.
We have added 120 total students to the Discovery Charter School enrollment for the 2012-2013 school year. We have space for approximately 20 students between the two facilities. We are adding the new families to our email lists for the school newsletter and information lists.
CLARK PRICE, DISCOVERY CHARTER SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR, includes close work with students at both sites in his busy school day. At the Mesa Vista site, he works with special groups of students in Math, Student Leadership Projects, and special activities. This week, he organized a field trip for a school newspaper group from Mesa Vista as they visited the Review Journal/Sun publishing site. His group was totally multilevel as he included Kindergarten through Eighth grade students. He said that he was very proud of the total participation of the group and of the insightful questions that they posed to the tour leaders. Clark is also very active with the Student Council at Hillpointe stressing their leadership skills in pizza sales, recycling projects, school apparel design and development, and stressing the importance of student voice in school events. Clark is also responsible for a full spectrum of administrative duties at both sites.
BOTH SCHOOL SITES ARE GENERATING INTEREST IN THE CREATION OF RAISED BED SCHOOL GARDENS. If any families are interested in working on these projects, or if you have timbers, soil, compost, plants, or time to assist in creating the beds, please contact the respective school offices.
WE HAVE ALSO NOW GATHERED TOGETHER all of the wooden letters to create two DISCOVERY CHARTER SCHOOL signs on the Hillpointe building. We need to take down the KINDERGARTEN letters on the East side of the building, paint the new letters and mount them on the building. Perhaps we can identify a sign company or a contractor to assist us with this project allowing us some credit on the costs.
THE HILLPOINTE FAMILY VOICE WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ON THE HILLPOINTE FAMILY FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS AND TALENT SH0W
- Live Talent Show/$10 per act buy in- sing, dance, play instrument, stand-up comedy, skits for
Students, advisors, parents, grandparents, cousins and neighbors. All are welcome! Scholarships for entries are available to minimize costs and allow all to participate
- Food & Beverage Sales for the benefit of Discovery Charter School at DCS Cafe
- Raffle & Prizes
- Booth Rentals for Businesses/Crafters/etc./$20 per space, $10 for students
- Ticket Sales are $1 each and can be used for DCS Cafe and Raffle prizes
We need your help!
- Stay informed by joining DCS Parent Group on Facebook & Join DCS Parent Voice Shutterflysite: http://discoveryparentorganization.shutterfly.com)
- Engage your kids, family and friends to register for Talent Show, contact Julie Leon, 241.0930, firstname.lastname@example.org use registration form at front office or on Shutterfly site.
- Engage your kids, friends and family to host a booth (crafts, games, face painting/activities,food, beverage, products or services). Contact Monique L at 482.9771,mOQiQueleslie®~maiJ.com
- Bring a Food or Beyera~e items to be donated to DCS Cafe. Contact Linzi, 292.7299,email@example.com
- Provide Game prizes (gift cards, crafts, goods & services)- contact Vanessa Jonesydjones@rocketmajJ.comor 521.5853
- Volunteer1 hour of your time at the event for DCS Cafe (Linzi above), Raffle Ticket Sales (Vanessa above), Set up or Clean up. You can sign up for all of these items on the Volunteer section of the DSC Shutterfly site.
The Family Festival will feature the services of a professional D-J along with a light show!
Bring your talents, courage, friends, families, neighbors, picnic blankets or chair, supporters, big applauds, plenty of cash & healthy appetites to an evening of community fun & fame! ! !
Thank you for making this event a fun, memorable, successful and productive event for our school!