Hillpointe Parent Meeting Minutes
October 22, 2014
Mr. Anderson spoke to parents about the news crew he has developed this year and his plans to create a tortoise habitat with students in the next seminar. Currently his social studies students are learning about ancient civilizations and have been presenting projects on the topic.
Miss Lisa spoke to families about her Kindness Owls club. This group of students will be supporting runners at the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk this Sunday, October 26. She recently received several raised bed gardens from an 8th grade student earning his Eagle Scout badge and is looking forward to planting a garden with her students.
1. Trunk or Treat is October 30th from 4-8pm. We are looking forward to a full parking lot with spooky trunks.
2. Pumpkin Chunkin contest will take place on October 30th. Participation is a requirement for grades 6-8, but all grades are welcome to participate. Students must create a simple machine that can launch a pie pumpkin about 85 feet.
1. Basketball through the charter sports league will begin November 30th. There will be 3 teams consisting of 3rd/4th grade, 5th/6th grade, and 7th/8th grade. Information will be sent home soon.
2. Leadership elections were held last week and classroom representatives are being chosen this week. These students will travel to the Mesa Vista campus on Thursday to meet the leadership team there.
3. The next round of seminars have been announced to seminars. Choices include; Crafts, Junkyard Rhythm Band, The Life and Times of Elvis,Pumpkin Fun, Tortoise Habitat, Yoga, Dance 101, Volleyball, Holiday Play, and Cooking.
4. Mrs. Kettleson’s 1st and 2nd grade math students will be opening a student store offering pencils, erasers, and other fun items.
5. Question asked about whether or not we have had a creative writing seminar. Discussed the opportunities of parents leading seminars.
6. Question about whether or not we will have a science fair. This is generally a spring event.